Safe Horizon provides advocacy and support to victims of crime and abuse, including domestic violence, child abuse, human trafficking, homeless youth and sexual assault, in all five boroughs of New York City. As the nation’s leading victim assistance organization, we work with partners at the City, State and Federal level to provide services and advocate on behalf of victims nationwide.
What is your mission?
Safe Horizon's mission is to provide support, prevent violence and promote justice for victims of crime and abuse, their families and communities.
What is your organization up to at the moment?
Safe Horizon is executing its Strategic Plan, which calls for us to build upon the excellence of our work, ensuring that our programs and operations are of the highest effectiveness. Some of our current goals include:
- >With a budget of $50 million, currently 90% government funded, we seek to increase the amount of private funding we receive.
- >As the largest victims' services organization in the country, Safe Horizon is working to more prominently position our work on the national stage.
- >What makes your organization so unique in the non-profit space?
Safe Horizon is the nation’s leading victim assistance organization, touching the lives of more than 250,000 children and families affected by crime and abuse each year. Operating in the largest urban city in the country,we manage more than 150 contracts at City, State and Federal level. Safe Horizon has more than 30 years of experience providing advocacy and support to victims of crime and abuse and we provide services including case management, legal services, mental health counseling, training, and practical assistance that put the needs of our clients first.
Safe Horizon is a recognized leader in responding to the changing needs of clients, and is sought out as experts on issues of violence and victimization across the country and around the world. We provide training to local community-based organization and partnering service providers throughout the world. Safe Horizon experts are often called on to weigh in on important changes to City, State and Federal policy that impact the supports available to victims of crime and abuse.
Safe Horizon is the largest non-profit provider of domestic violence services in the country with 725 beds in the emergency and transitional shelter network for victims of domestic violence and their families. Safe Horizon operates three 24-hour hotlines for victims of domestic violence, rape and sexual assault and other crimes. In addition, Safe Horizon provides services to victims of domestic violence in community programs, court programs, and police precincts throughout New York City, making the services offered truly comprehensive.
How can CUP Members be involved?
CUP members can be involved in several ways:
- >We are seeking a very small number of Board members who can help our organizion rise to the next level in terms of funding diversification, national profile development, and overall advancement. Safe Horizon is part of the CUP Board matching program.
- >We have a range of hands-on volunteer opportunities, and would be delighted to discuss possibilities with individuals who are interested. The type of work depends on the interest the volunteer and the time that he/she can commit.
- >Volunteers help Safe Horizon raise funds or other resources in many ways, and we are tremendously appreciative of this type of support. Possible avenues include our Junior Council, being a Table Captain at one of our fundraisers, or holding drives or events that raise resources for Safe Horizon. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss possibilities with any interested CUP members!